HCMC 2013 Day 2 Reflection: Can Gio Biosphere and Local Market
Can Gio Biosphere:
1. As you were travelling down the river, what were some problems you observed? What are the causes of these problems?
The water was very dirty and smelly. People threw rubbish and waste matters into the water which polluted it.
2. Why do people stay near a river? How can the use of the river be sustainable?
So they may have easier excess to food sources such as fish etc
3. What does it take for a location/site to be listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site? Why is it essential for a location like Can Gio to be listed as such a site?
contain the most important and significant natural habitats for in-situ conservation of biological diversity, including those containing threatened species of outstanding universal value from the point of view of science or conservation.
It meets the requirements.
4. If there is a place in Singapore that you can list as a UNESCO World Heritage site, which is it? Why?
Pulau ubin as it maintains it village lifestyle, its natural habitats and contains a threatened species - komodo dragon
5. What is the difference between the market that you have visited VS that of Singapore’s. Why do you think there are such differences?
The markets in singapore are cleaner and more organised. Since it isn't as developed here as compared to Singapore, therefore there definitely will be differences.